Sunday, March 8, 2015

University Race in the Cradle of the Blue Ridge

I love living in a small town in the Upstate. There are so many reasons why, but yesterday I was reminded of another.

On the way to church Saturday evening, we were passed by a number of cyclists. The first group was lead by a motorcycle, and they were flying! Not far behind were a few other cyclists. And then at a local crossroads, there were police cars and officers ready to direct traffic. We were driving on a race course!

After doing a quick internet search, I realized that the Clemson University Cycling Team was hosting the Clemson Collegiate Classic. Two blocks from my front door, a race with cyclists from across the southeast was happening!

With the scenery and rolling hills, ideal weather conditions for early March and a relatively low traffic volumes, I can't say I'm surprised. And my heart swells with a bit of pride for Clemson, Central and Six Mile area. To be host of a bike race that drew some of the best schools and riders in the southeast is a pretty cool thing. It was even a bit of a boon to the local area. Driving on the way back from church, I saw a several cars with bikes on the back parked outside local restaurants. Small town economic development opportunity, right Central? Yet another reason why I love biking in the upstate.

No comments:

Post a Comment