Monday, September 16, 2013

It takes a village. Find your tribe.

Motivation to ride. Lately, I'm in the groove with commuting to and from work daily. Especially now that the weather has turned cooler, the crispness of the air and the first glimpses at the sunrise make for an energizing start to the day. If it wasn't for all that bother-some, nerve-wracking traffic I ride next to, I'd say that my commute is my favorite part of the day.

Getting into more recreational riding - whether it be for speed, exercise or racing - has been a bit of a challenge. I want the facilities that my area lacks. It takes a village to build them. I need to find folks I feel comfortable with. I need to find my tribe.

It takes a village - a group of people - to build support, political will and energy to develop biking facilities. Bike paths along side roads, abandoned rail lines, through open fields - the places that call the soul to get away from it all.

Finding your tribe, some folks say, is the key to enjoying riding and the motivating factor to keep it up. Your tribe can be your family, your friends, a group of co-workers or business partners. Whoever it is, it's the group that keeps with you, mile after mile.

I hope to give group riding a few more tries. It's fun, it's freeing and it's a way for me to engage in something I love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment